Israel is a founding Partner and current Managing Partner of Primera Africa Legal. He has extensive commercial and legal knowledge of the oil and gas business in Nigeria. In addition to his roles as Managing Partner at and Co-chair of the Primera Africa Legal Energy Desk, Israel is also a Director with the Aspen Energy Nigeria (Energy Services and Consulting) Group and faculty member of the International Law Institute-African Centre of Excellence (ILI-ACE).
He has won numerous accolades and gained recognition as one of Nigeria’s leading experts in Energy and Natural Resources. With a firm grasp on the technical, legal and regulatory and commercial aspects of the sector, Israel has provided sound advice on some of Nigeria’s key energy and natural resources deals. He is currently on the panel of experts advising the Ministry of Petroleum on the Petroleum Industry Bill.
Awards and Recognitions
- Energy Expert Guides 2017 – Leading Lawyer, Energy & Environment
- Who’s Who Legal – Leading expert in energy and natural resources, 2012 till date
- IFLR1000 – Leading Lawyer, Financial and Corporate 2017
- Energy Expert Guides 2016 – Leading Lawyer, Energy
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Financial and Corporate 2016
- Corporate LiveWire’s 2016 Innovation & Excellence Awards – Excellence in Energy & Natural Resources Law (Nigeria)
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Energy and Infrastructure 2015
- Chambers and Partners Legal Award – Leading Lawyer, Oil and Gas 2015
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Constance Okhilua and Esther Onoji “The Nigerian Chapter, the Oil and Gas Law Review”, Fourth Edition, Chapter 19 at pp. 206- 218
- Israel Aye, “Legal and Regulatory Framework of Nigeria’s Oil and Gas Industry”, a presentation at the Masterclass for Journalists organised by the Natural Resource Governance Institute in conjunction with the Pan Atlantic University, June 2016;
- Israel Aye “Sustainable Development in Nigeria: Leveraging the Petroleum Industry” – Expert Guides – Energy (2016)
- Israel Aye, “Drafting and Negotiating Commercial Contracts: Key Principles”, a presentation at the Lagos Business School, Legal Drafting/Services Seminar, November 2015.
- Israel Aye & Esther Onoji, “Nigeria’s Petroleum Sector as a Catalyst for Economic Development”; Paper presented at the International Bar Association Annual Conference, Vienna 2015;
- Aye, “Taming the Country’s Natural Resources” International Financial Law Review, July/August 2013 at pp. 50 – 53.
- Israel Aye, “Regional Harmonisation of Corporate Laws Across the Commonwealth”; Paper presented at the 18th Commonwealth Law Conference at Cape Town, South Africa, on Thursday 18 April 2013.
- Israel Aye, “Pre-requisites for Promoting the Culture of Excellence in the Nigerian Petroleum Industry”; Paper presented at the Nigerian Gas Association Conference, Abuja 2011.