Udoka is a Partner overseeing anti-bribery and corruption and anti-competition law and practice at Primera Africa Legal. He also double hats and leads work on significant transactional matters at PAL. With over twenty (20) years’ experience in private practice and in house as lead counsel in renowned international oil companies, he brings aboard his considerable and peculiar wealth of experience in compliance governance, business development, complex litigation management, and client management.
As in-house counsel at Shell, he helped the organization successfully conclude and exit the 5 year Deferred Prosecution Agreement entered into with the U.S. Department of Justice over the FCPA violation. In addition to FCPA, he has experience advising and defending clients in related international laws including the UK Bribery Act, 2010, UN Convention Against Bribery and the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention. Udoka develops and help clients implement effective global compliance programs to improve risk management and reduce violations while simultaneously building infrastructure to monitor and detect anti-corruption and antitrust compliance failures.
Udoka is also experienced in project finance, project development and public private partnerships. He understands what government, lenders and sponsors require from having advised all of them. Udoka works collaboratively to secure financing for projects in transport, real estate, energy etc. He can help identify creative financing structures and sources of finance from banks to ECAs and funds/private equity and has a 360-degree view of project process from planning, contracting and financing through to development
- Authored and presented a paper titled Regulatory and Compliance Regimes Training” to the Nigeria Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS)
- Authored and presented a paper titled “Safeguards to Corruption and Money Laundering” at NIALS
- Presented a paper to the MBA class at the Lagos Business School titled “Managing Compliance and Legal Risks”
- Co-authored – Corporate Separateness: Independence of corporate entities to manage and control their own affairs, developed as a training module for Board of Directors of Shell Companies in Nigeria and all Shell staff in Nigeria (2014)
- Co-authored – Management of catastrophic oil spill: Reflections on the Bonga oil spill. Delivered in Brussels Belgium (2013).
Areas of Specialization:
- Anti-bribery and corruption, Anti-competition and ethics
- Project Finance
- Commercial and Corporate Law