Laura Alakija FCIArb is the Managing Partner and head of PAL’s Commercial Dispute (Arbitration and ADR) and Commercial Transactions. Laura has over 15 years of post-call experience with expertise in the disparate yet connected fields of dispute resolution and transaction. She has sector-specific experience in hospitality; energy and natural resources; project finance; transport; real estate & infrastructure; and information & communications technology.
Laura is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom, an Accredited Mediator of the Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse and a certified Online Dispute Resolution expert. She is a member of the Panel of Neutrals for the Lagos Court of Arbitration; Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; Shanghai Arbitrators Commission; Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration. She is an active member of the international arbitration community serving as Member, ICC Africa Commission; Member, Advisory Board of the Lagos Court of Arbitration Young Arbitrators’ Network (LCA YAN) among other positions and memberships. She served as the ICC YAF Representative for Africa, the Middle East and Turkey from 2019 to 2021.
- Africa Arbitration Academy Model Bilateral Investment Treaty (May 2022) – Member of Drafting Committee
- Africa Legal Support Facility & Africa Arbitration Academy Survey on Costs and Dispute funding in Africa (April 2022) – Member of Drafting Committee
- Africa Arbitration Academy Protocol on Virtual Hearings in Africa –which won the Innovation in Arbitration at the Africa Arbitration Awards 2020 – Member of Drafting Committee
- Centre for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) Corporate Compliance Trends, Q&A with Laura Alakija: Compliance for Mid-Sized Businesses in Nigeria, March 2016.
- L. Alakija: “Regulatory Framework for Tourism in Nigeria: How Can This be Made Easier for Investors?” A paper presented at the Nigerian Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference October 2015, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, the Oil and Gas Law Review ”, Third Editions, 2015.
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, the Oil and Gas Law Review”, Second Edition, 2014.
- “Online Legal Research and Electronic Document Management ” : a lecture presented at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) during the NBA Section on Legal Practice’ Seminar for Young Lawyers – June 2013
Awards and Recognitions
- Africa’s 50 Most Promising Young Arbitration Practitioners, 2020 – awarded by the Association of Young Arbitrators
- Nigeria’s 40 Under 40 Rising Stars Award 2019 – awarded by the Nigeria Legal Awards